THIS IS A NATIONAL EVENT!
IT’S TIME TO TAKE THE “WIPE OUT STUDENT DEBT” CAMPAIGN TO THE FRONT LINES!
The letter-writing campaign was a great opening shot in the battle against debt slavery. Now it is time to take the show on the road.
On August 23rd, the Socialist Party Los Angeles Local will be traveling to California State’s Northridge campus and delivering the sobering facts about student debt to the student body and encouraging the students to present these facts and their concerns to their on-campus administration along with their state representatives.
Below, you will find a series of facts indicating how the cost of tuition has guaranteed today’s student a lifetime of debt slavery.
WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO IS THIS: simply paste the facts below onto a document, print copies of the document, and make a trip on August 23rd to your local university prepared to hand out the documents and engage in a bit of conversation with the students about the urgency of this situation. AS BEFORE, INVITE AS MANY OF YOUR FRIENDS TO JOIN THIS EVENT AS POSSIBLE, AND PLEASE TAKE PHOTOS OF YOUR VISIT!
We want to include as many students as we possibly can in this movement, and your help is needed to accomplish that goal. As mentioned in our letter writing campaign, Finland, which has a socialized education program, generally ranks at the top of most all studies of educational systems worldwide. We deserve no less in the United States. Please join us in the effort to build the community of individuals concerned about debt slavery.
Here are the facts:
1. Student debt has tripled between 2004 and 2013.
2. College tuition and fees have increased 1,120 percent since 1978.
3. This rate of this increase is four times faster than the rate of increase of the consumer price index.
4. Public university tuition rose 15 percent from 2008 to 2010.
5. The average loan debt per full-time student increased by nearly 60 percent from 2002 – 2012.
6. The amount of student loans now in delinquent status has nearly doubled from 2004 – 2012 to 18 percent.
7. Outstanding student loan balances now exceed credit card balances and auto loan balances
8. THE COUNTRY WITH THE WORLD’S TOP-RANKED EDUCATION SYSTEM, FINLAND, HAS A SOCIALIZED EDUCATION PROGRAM!!!
9. THE TIME TO CONTACT YOUR SCHOOL’S ADMINISTRATION AND YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVES HAS COME! THIS SITUATION IS NOT SUSTAINABLE, AND YOU THE STUDENT WILL SUFFER AS A RESULT. NO MORE!!!
10. And about those interest rates…